Power on, the Oregon Way
The Oregon difference
The Oregon Way: protecting consumers
The Oregon Way: ensuring reliability
The Oregon Way: protecting Oregon for future generations
Oregon’s regulated electric companies are key partners to a clean energy future. PGE is actively driving down greenhouse gas emissions and accelerating the “decarbonization” of our electricity supply through the Renewable Portfolio Standard, the mandate to remove coal from rates by 2035, and our own clean energy commitments. By 2022, we expect to serve customers with 50% clean and renewable energy, and ultimately reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by more than 80%.
Over the past decade, PGE has invested more than $2 billion in new clean and renewable resources, energy efficiency, and green technologies. For customers who want to go further faster, we have programs that allow them to be 100% renewable today, generate their own electricity and sell it back to the grid, and take charge of their energy use through energy shifting programs.
And because the transportation sector is the largest and fastest contributor of greenhouse gas emissions, we’re working to support communities and help customers reach their transportation electrification goals, including:
- Supporting nonprofits and businesses with transportation electrification through the PGE Drive Change Fund
- Providing grants to school districts for new electric school buses
- Partnering with TriMet to electrify bus fleets
- Building electric vehicle infrastructure and charging stations
- Helping establish zero-emission vehicle adoption goals for Oregon
The Oregon Way: keeping it local
The Oregon Way of powering the state through a regulated, integrated system enables PGE to create more than 3,000 family-wage jobs and contribute millions in tax revenue to local communities. And more than 90% of the energy we serve customers with is generated in the Pacific Northwest (two-thirds of it right here in Oregon).
PGE also strengthens the community through environmental stewardship and recreation projects, including:
- Working with communities on habitat mitigation and restoration on over 36,500 acres of natural habitat
- Helping pass almost 1.5 million juvenile salmon and steelhead downstream on the Deschutes River since 2010
- Owning and operating 14 public parks and recreation sites across the state
Making our home even more incredible
PGE parks and campgrounds
Helping build a vibrant community
- Education and workforce development
- Creative expression (arts education)
- Safe and stable families
- Environmental stewardship
Protecting our environment
We know producing electricity does have an impact on our environment and we’re committed to helping minimize that impact and protecting this wonderful place we call home.
Our environmental stewardship programs focus on two key impact areas:
Air quality and emissions:
As we work to combat the effects of climate change, we are focused on powering Oregon with clean, reliable energy. This includes work to reduce our GHG emissions and increase energy efficiency (for ourselves and our customers).
Water quality and wildlife habitat:
We work to help protect our rivers, fish and wildlife. Through monitoring water quality, protecting fish passage and restoring habitat.
We also have a team dedicated to caring for the people and places of Oregon. We’ve even heard them say they have the best jobs ever. Read their stories to learn more about what they do every day to help our customers and contribute to a clean energy future.
Meet the people making a difference
Biologist Deschutes River
Archaeologist and Cultural Historian
Parks Outreach and Junior Ranger